ganked from online
Exported from MasterCook
Amhari -- Mesir Wat (Ethiopian Lentil Bowl)
Recipe By : Gad S. Sheaffer (email@example.com)
Yummy yummy (and orange!) Ethiopian lentil thing. Did I mention yum?
- 1/2 kilogram red lentils (I used maybe half a pound, and it was
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 C oil
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1/2 t paprika, sweet or hot
- 1 head garlic (for real!)
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 t salt
- 3 C water
Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes. Rinse in
running water and drain.
- Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes. Rinse.
- Peel and finely chop the onions; peel and mash the garlic.
- Heat the oil in large pan and sauté the onion until golden.
- Add tomato paste and paprika and mix.
- Add half the water and the garlic, ginger, pepper, and salt.
- Add the rest of the water. Stir again, cover, and bring to boil.
- When the water boils, add the lentils, lower the flame, and cook